Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Goodbye Beren

 After years of waiting for a dog, I didn’t think when I finally got one, it would be for less than 5 years.  But after getting Beren and hearing the diagnosis of Ventricular Septal Defect when he was only a couple months old, I didn’t know what to expect anymore.  Truth is, in a lot of ways, it’s been a rough road for Beren and for us.  Last week we said goodbye, and I held him close as he was put to sleep.  Beren’s life never was very normal, especially for a Border Collie.  He was a great dog, forever studying me to learn my routines and patterns.  I’ve never seen a dog think the way Beren did.  I talked to him a lot, and I could reason with him.  He understood me so well.  Since he was blind in one eye, he liked to lean on me and stay close to me while I worked.  He pretended to be bold, but he was more of a scaredy cat.  Even though he wasn’t loud, the house seems so much quieter now.  I really miss him.



No comments:

Post a Comment